Friday, August 21, 2009

Heat and Sex

When I was told we were writing about sex this month at Royal Blush Authors, I cringed and wanted to climb into a hole. Lol Oh sure, I write sex in some of my stories, but what do I really know about sex?

Well, I do know that curiosity starts for young girls in high school (in my day, and much earlier these days), and the female hormones start kicking in high gear in the mid-twenties. Those hormones can make a young woman as horny as a fourteen old boy starting puberty. Thirty-two years of marriage has taught me a few things.

We are not talking about kids, we are talking about adults. It’s about the heat that builds when a young woman and young man first meet, and there is an immediate connection between them. This heat can cause two normal adults to skip the getting to know you process and cause them to hop right into bed, the back seat of a car, the floor, etc (you get my picture). These two may not be into one night stands, but the magnetism that brings them together can be so intense that they can’t stay apart long enough to learn about each other.

Sometimes the attraction is great enough that they decide they want to learn more about each other even after intercourse. If their personalities also click and they enjoy one another’s company outside of the hot sex then this is when a real relationship may develop.

For my purpose, I’m talking about sex in a romance novel, and there has to be a certain level of commitment involved between the heroine and the hero whereas in real life there might not be. As a writer, I want to build the tension between the pair to make them want to get together physically as a couple, but also want more. It doesn’t have to be through marriage, but there must be some pledge keeping them together.

Okay, so I haven’t really said anything about the hot sex. Lol In a book, your description and the actions of your characters must show your reader what is going on because a novel is not the same as a movie. You show a love scene by using the actions of your characters touching one another, and then showing their reactions. You can always use the action/reactions to build up your scene.

I know a group of ladies who told me they started reading their sex scenes to their husbands and they tried new positions out because of their stories. Their husbands even became better lovers because they learned what their wives really wanted from them.

I could go on a little more, but I think I better quit while I’m ahead. I hope.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Sandy

5 comments:

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn) said...

Lol, lovely post, Sandy! I really liked what you said about the romance bit.

Hugs

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn)

Sandy said...

Thanks, Z. You're being sweet.

Hugs

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn) said...

Lol, nope, not being sweet. Realistic, and objective too, I would hope!

Hugs

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn)

Sandy said...

Thanks, Z.

Hugs.

K.T. Bishop said...

Always enjoy writing the sex scenes. You should have one intimate love-making scene at a clip....