Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I sit around and eat bonbons all day!

Knew that would get your attention. J

The fact is writing is a job (Full-time or otherwise). You can't slice it any simpler than that. You pound keys. You promote. You work, work, work. While you're promoting you've got to be thinking about the next story, or if you are really on your game, writing it. Another cold hard rule of life is that life happens.

I can't tell you how many authors I've told, 'take a break'. First off you need to recharge your batteries. Walk in the sunshine and let your body soak it all in. Let it happen because some of the best ideas I've ever had pop into my head have come from just getting away from the stupid box I feel chained to most days. Second, there is such a thing as becoming over-written. Ever felt burned out? That's because you've written until pulling words from your brain is the next best thing to having a root canal sans anesthetic.

The other side of this is life. You should have one. Nobody says you can't run the kids to school or hang around with the mate. It's a fallacy that the next story is the most important thing to a writer. Life is more important than anything. It's not a dress rehearsal. You won't get a second chance to watch your kids grow or have those riveting conversations with the mate while he's totally zoned out and into the internet. That's not a fact of being a writer, that's a fact of being alive.

The same thing goes for editors. We're notorious for becoming over-read. Let's be real, that's what we do all day. We read and read and just before our eyes start to sizzle, we read some more.


 

So the cold truth is if you are feeling stressed about a story the best advice is get away from it. Let it perk and join the world of the living. Eat a few bonbons. You might find it interesting and you might find some inspiration.


 

Until next Tuesday, cheers and happy writing,


 

T.J.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

ROFLMAO Oh sure, you're eating bonbons. You can't fool me. I know better.

I'll try to heed your advice, T.J., but I'm hoping that while I'm away my mind will start working again. hehe. Who ever said it did in the first place.

Diana Castilleja said...

I had to read that twice to make sure my name wasn't in there. hehehehe

Anonymous said...

As one of those people you've advised to take a step back, I'll tell everyone that it does work. Sure, ideas still swirl around my mind but I just jot them down and approach them later.

Taking time to spend with the family and keeping the balance is important. Nothing is more important than family and I'm fortunate that my family understands that I'm a writer and let me slip every now and again.

Great post, TJ!

Liena~